This is a delicious light dinner or brunch topped with the Feta Tomato Cream sauce below. Recipe from Good Times January 2012
4 cups coarsely grated zuccini (6 or 1 lb)
1 tsp salt
2 green onions, minced
2 beaten eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp each, baking soda and pepper
2 tbsp butter
- In colander, toss zucchini with salt, let stand for 20 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible; transfer zucchini to bowl. Stir in green onions, eggs, buttermilk, and oil; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together cormeal, flour, sugar, baking soda and pepper. Pour zucchini mixture over top; stir until just blended.
- In large non-stick skillet, heat half of the butter over medium heat. Using heaping 2 tbsp batter for each and remaining butter as necessary, fry pancakes, flattening slightly with back of spoon, until bottoms are golden, about 2 minutes.
- Turn and fry until edges are golden, about 2 minutes. Place on paper towel-lined baking sheet or plate.
- Top with Feta Tomato Cream (recipe below). Makes 4 servings
Feta Tomato Cream
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 Balkan-style plain yogourt
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
pinch each of salt and pepper
- Quarter tomatoes; place in small bowl. In food processor blend feta, yogourt, mint, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Scrape over tomatoes, stir to blend. Makes 1 1/4 cups.