This ice cream is rich and decadent, a true comfort food. Most non-dairy ice creams are low fat but not this one. It can also be made with regular milk. Serves 6
Prep Time 15 mins. Total Time: 45 mins
2 ⅓ cup soymilk
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup peanut butter
1 egg beaten
¼ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. In a large saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch, soy milk and peanut butter.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently and boil whisking constantly for one minute. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk several large spoonfuls of hot milk mixture into egg, then whisk egg back into saucepan of hot milk.
4. Return saucepan to heat and cook over medium flame, whisking constantly, until mixture returns to a boil. It will have thickened slightly.
5. Refrigerate until cold (I first cool by carefully putting the pan into a sinkful of cold water.) The cooking time does not take the cooling time into account.
6. Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Add chips toward the end of the freezing process.