This is a favourite birthday cake in our house, even the non-gluten free members of the household choose this one over flour based cakes. Very good with maple cream cheese icing.
2 c. gluten-free flour blend (corn-sorghum mix or tapioca rice mix is recommended)
1 ½ c. milk (cow, rice, or soy)
1 ½ tsp Xanthan gum
1 ½ c. light brown sugar
1 ¾ tsp baking soda
½ c. butter (or oil)
¾ tsp salt
¼ cup vegetable/sunflower/ almond oil
1 tbsp ground ginger
⅓ c. molasses
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 325º. Grease 9″ round pan.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
3. Combine the milk and sugar in a heavy saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add the butter, oil, molasses and vanilla.
4. When the butter has melted, add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly blended. Add the eggs and mix until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a plate and cool completely. When cool frost with any preferred frosting, Cinnamon Maple Cream Cheese Icing is great.