Serving Size: 20 cupcakes
Here is an excellent gluten-free chocolate cupcake recipe that taste as good as regular cupcakes. These are my go-to birthday cupcakes to serve to kid friends that don’t usually eat gluten free – they love them everytime!
- 1/2 cup of tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup of sorghum flour (or buckwheat flour)
- 1/2 cup of white rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp of xantham gum or guar gum
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of salted butter (softened), earth balance or oil
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- 3 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of milk or milk alternatives (almond, soy, rice)
- 2 tbsp of vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use 24 cupcake liners in cupcake/muffin tins or lightly grease the 9″ round cake pans.
- In a small bowl add 1 1/2 cups of milk and the 2 tbsp of vinegar; mix with a spoon and set aside. Essentially you are creating “buttermilk” in this step.
- Sift the sorghum, tapioca, and white rice flours together. Add in the cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking powder, and baking soda to the flours and whisk together in a medium. bowl.
- In a separate large bowl cream the soften butter with an electric mixer. Slowly add the brown sugar and the granulated sugar; whip until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and the egg yolks one at a time; continue beating with the electric mixer at a medium speed. You will notice that the mixer is having to work harder with all the eggs so you may have to turn up the speed.
- Add the vanilla extra. Turn the mixer to low and alternately add the flour mixture and the “buttermilk”.
- Fill each cupcake liner only half way as the batter will rise quite a bit or pour into the prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake is springy to the touch. Do not over bake.
- You will know when the cupcakes or cake are done when you insert a clean toothpick and it comes out clean. The newly bakes cupcakes or cake will be very springy to the touch. You will notice that the texture is very light and airy.
Original recipe https://cakejournal.com/recipes/gluten-free-chocolate-cupcake-recipe