Psyllium seed husks are available at natural food stores or online. Other than the husks, which you can use in powder or intact form but are otherwise non-negotiable, this bread is adaptable to your mood and your pantry. Swap in like for like (nuts for nuts, grains for grains, and so forth), and your life can change a little bit differently every time.
Makes: 1 loaf
Prep time: 3 hrs
Cook time: 1 hrs
- 1 cup (135 grams) sunflower seed kernels (not in the shell)
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) flax seeds (ground or whole)
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts or pecans
- 1 1/2 cups (145 grams) rolled oats (if making gluten-free, make sure to get certified gluten-free oats)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons psyllium seed husks (3 tablespoons if using psyllium husk powder)
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt (add 1/2 teaspoon if using coarse salt)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey (for strict low carb diets, use a pinch of stevia or omit)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, ghee or olive oil
- 1 1/2cups (350 milliliters) water
- In a flexible, silicon loaf pan or a standard loaf pan lined with parchment, combine all dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk maple syrup/honey, oil, and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable). Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it or lift the parchment.
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 175° C.
- Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. If desired, remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, you can also turn the bread onto a baking sheet instead of directly on the rack. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing.
- Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!
Recipe adapted slightly from this recipe.