- 1-1/2 cups whole buckwheat groats, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3-3/4 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place buckwheat and chia seeds in a large bowl; pour boiling water over. Let stand for 20 minutes (buckwheat should be breaking down, much of the water is absorbed).
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper; grease or spray paper.
- Transfer roughly ⅔ of buckwheat mixture to a food processor or blender. Process, using ON/OFF pulses until almost , but not completely, smooth. Scrape back into bowl with remaining buckwheat. Vigorously stir to combine, also breaking up some of the remaining buckwheat.
- Add the flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt to bowl, stirring until blended. Spoon and spread into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in preheat oven for 90 minutes until top appears dry and a toothpick inserted in center of loaf come out clean.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack and cool 10 minutes. Using parchment overhang, remove loaf from pan. Cool completely. Slice and eat (toasting optional, but recommended!)
Storage: Store the cooled loaf, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, Alternatively, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze for up to 6 months.