* 1/2 cup chickpea flour (besan)
* pinch of salt
* 2/3 cup water
* 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
* pinch red chile pepper flakes (optional)
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil (for cooking)
1. Sift the chickpea flour and salt together into a mixing bowl, using a sifter or a fine mesh strainer.
2. Whisk in 1/3 of the water, to form a thick paste, making sure to eliminate all of the lumps.
3. Whisk in the remainder of the water. The batter should look and feel like thin pancake batter.
4. Stir in the cilantro and chile flakes, if using.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat.
6. Pour the batter into the pan, jiggling the pan a little bit if necessary, to help the batter spread.
7. Cook the batter for 3-4 minutes, until it becomes firm, and the bottom turns golden brown and crisp.
8. Carefully flip using the largest spatula you own, then cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes, until it also becomes golden brown and crisp.
9. Remove from the pan, cut into wedges, and serve.
*RECIPE SERVES 2*